Skip to main content

Fun Fact Friday - I AM a Runner

I hope you bear with me. This is definitely not the typical Fun Facts/For Friday Post. But, I think it falls into a "Fact" at the very least.

I don't know exactly why, but after yesterday evening's run, I started to think back to and reflecting on my running transformation. Maybe it's trying to figure out why I'm so hell-bent on running despite being injured?

You see, honestly, about three years ago I still refused to call myself a runner. No joke, look back at my past blog posts if you wish. Or, better yet, you can check out the post where I specifically say "Why I'm not a runner." Oh, and notice the date is July 2010. So, um, not that long ago really.


For some reason, I associated calling myself a runner with having an all-consuming passion, running crazy distances, or crazy-fast paces, and being in an elite secret club. What I didn't understand was the deep-seeded passion that comes with running. Ok, so the first point does end up being valid.

Yes, I enjoy the challenge of getting faster, running farther. Hello half marathons and PRs.
But it's so very much more than that. It's not at all elitist like I had assumed. Fast runners (like my friend Amy) still embrace slower runners. Hello, she runs with me and has never once complained about me slowing her down. We cheer each other on, fast, slow, injured, whatever. We "get" each other and that's all that matters.

For me, running is something I never thought I could do. I have severe asthma, though not exercise-induced. Before I found Singulair, I couldn't go for hikes without resting (usually using inhaler) let alone running anything more than say 1 minute.

So to ever expect to be or even want to be a runner? Not even on my radar. I was always a dancer. I loved (still love) ballet deep in my soul. I lived and breathed it. But where I live, not much for advanced adults. You eventually get tired of the competition and pettiness you see dancing with 16-18 year old girls.

Long story cut short - Jason introduced me to running. One day I looked up, looked around, felt present in the moment and fell in love. It's not always easy. Actually, it never is. That's the awesome thing though. You have to work hard so you feel so much pride from it. Accomplishment.

I firmly believe that there's a huge misconception from non-runners or self-proclaimed dabblers of running that those who do call themselves runners find it easy. I mean, I know I thought that. But - Nope. Always work. But satisfying? Yes.

And can you fall in and out of love with running? Absolutely. I've definitely gone through periods where I dreaded lacing up my shoes. But usually there's a reason. Overdoing it or getting all up in your head - overthinking, planning, plotting, forgetting to let go. But then you have that one run...that one run that makes you remember exactly why you fell in love. Does this sound like a relationship? Maybe it is. There's give and take. Love and hate. Passion.

And honestly, this post can also describe my passion for lifting weights. I know there's a lot of debate about being a runner and a weight lifter. No, I won't ever do a fit comp, but man, I do seriously dig lifting weights. It's a different passion for me. But the same sense of pride and accomplishment as running.

So, if you run - you ARE a runner. If you lift weights - you kind of are a weight lifter. Just sayin'


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.