Skip to main content

Fun Facts Friday - Furbabies

If you've read my posts this week, you know we've had a super sick dog. Our Heath Man has spent most of the week at the vet. He was diagnosed with Gallbladder Mucocele.
Gallbladder mucocele causes obstruction of the gallbladder's storage capacity due to the formation of a thick, mucoid bile mass inside the gallbladder, impairing its ability to function. The accumulated bile may extend the gallbladder, resulting in necrotizing cholecystitis – tissue death due to inflammation of the gallbladder.
It's pretty serious. He's been a very very sick boy. And we've been very very worried fur-parents as you can imagine.

Thankfully, he started to finally eat, drink water, and potty yesterday afternoon. He was still mopey, but they thought it might be because he was getting depressed and missing us. So, they let him come home. When he first walked in the door, he was his super chipper, bouncy self.

He ate about half of his dinner, then pretty much laid down the rest of the evening, not nearly has peppy, but certainly better than he had been on Monday. Still kind of hard to watch. Of course, we have no clue what the medicines' side effects could be. He's on 4 different meds. We all know how meds can affect us too. So I would assume they'd be the same for dogs.

Basically, we have a long road ahead and are just hoping and praying that he pulls through. That the medications and the new diet help. The only other option might be surgery, but the mortality rate with that is really scary too.

But, it's Friday. And I want to be happy (even though it's cold and rainy here). Since I've been talking about my furbaby this week, I thought it was only appropriate to keep up with that "theme" for Fun Facts Friday.

  • I have had 4 cocker spaniels - clearly I'm a loyalist. 
  • My first cocker was Abigail (Abby, AbbyLuLu, Turkey Butt, Absters) all black with one white speck on her chest - I had her for 14 years. 
  • My second cocker was a rescue named Erin, a blonde cocker. She had been an owner surrender and a rescue organization saved her on St. Patrick's Day. They thought she was 5, vet thought 8. She had kidney disease and we lost her after only 5 years.
  • Third cocker is Madeline, a Black-white Parti. We adopted her from the Dallas/Ft. Worth Cocker Rescue. She's a total wild child, spazoid.
  • Fourth is Heath, a rather rare Sable Parti. We adopted him from a cocker spaniel rescue in Oklahoma. He's such a ham and a complete love bug!
Case in point - Heath hugging my friend Jessica
  • I'm a huge proponent for adoption. Yes, they may come with problems, I'll admit that. Like Erin's kidney disease, Heath's genetic blindness, Maddie's craziness. But ultimately, it's worth it. 
  • We tend to have a lot of nicknames for our dogs. Sometimes I wonder if we just confuse the crap out of them. 
Abigail: Abby, AbbyLuLu, Turkey Butt, Absters, Abs 
Madeline: Maddie, Madsters, MaddieMadMad, Madness the Badness, and sometimes a few choice words 
Heath: Heath Man, Bubby, Bubsters, Heathy Man, Heathy Dude
  • Each one has had a completely different personality with their own quirks and eccentricities. 
  • Abby would make a "lululu" sort of noise mostly because my mom taught her that. She'd say "Abby Lulu" and Abs would respond back (even when mom was on the phone).
  • Maddie acts out a lot. When she's mad at us she'll get in her bed, on the couch, or in a chair and flip upside down, rolling around, make a guttural noise. It's quite funny to watch.
  • Both Maddie and Heath have these insanely long eyelashes. 
  • Abby hated baths and learned that she could go limp and it made it SO hard to bathe her. Maddie scoots up right under the faucet. 
Your turn - share something about your furbaby (if you have any). Rescues? Crazy habits? Crazy nicknames? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.