Skip to main content

Fun For Friday - Half Marathon Thoughts

Happy Friday! It's been a long one and I even took Monday off after the Little Rock Half Marathon to recoup. The crazy thing is, other than my foot problem, I felt absolutely fine. No real muscle soreness in my legs. In fact, had my foot not been hurting, you better believe I would have been out running on Monday.

Unfortunately, I pushed too hard and am sidelined again. Apparently I don't learn. I've tried really hard not to get down about not running this week. The first few days were ok. I got to try out more of Cathe's XTrain series and spent time on my bike trainer. However, the weather was rapidly improving -sunshine, warming temps, no gusting crazy winds.

I think it was even harder because I was still riding that post-race high. You know - thinking about running, looking at more races to enter (why doesn't AR have more races by the way), missing that long weekend run. Gotta love runner's amnesia for helping us all forget the hellish parts of a run sometimes. I suppose most of us would give up if we always remembered huh?

So, rather than whine and complain about not running, I thought I would reflect on and share some things from the race. I sure wish I could have taken pictures during the race. The Little Rock Marathon route always has amazing support, even when it's 25 degrees out!

For Fun for Friday - I thought I'd just share some tidbits that I remember from the race:

Photo taken by a friend - this would be around mile 1
  • The weather channel always lies about the wind speeds. 3mph was really more like 13.
  • I didn't get to go to the bathroom again right before the race. Maybe that's part of why I went so much faster - having to pee for 13.1 miles makes you desperate and port-a-potties start to look like an oasis in the desert.
  • I hate the traffic jam feeling when a race first starts and you can't get around people. So claustrophobic. 
  • So fun seeing live bands playing along the route - from heavy metal to gospel and even someone sitting on their front porch serenading us.
  • When there wasn't live music, people were often playing music on radios, or a DJ spinning tunes (mile 6), or even the random boom box tied up to a lamp post (mile 2).
  • When someone calls your name out, it's like you've won something special. 
  • I still can't drink at aid stations.
  • I love some of the random signs like "Did you just run a fartlek" and another one that was something along the lines of "Great Job Random Stranger" (totally paraphrasing except for the random stranger part) and "This is the worst parade ever!" being held by a child.
  • I almost wanted the cup of beer that one guy was handing out just shy of mile 8 - he's there every year. Carbs anyone?
  • Just before the beer guy, one group was celebrating (probably the fact that they weren't running) with mimosas in their front yard. I really wanted the mimosa by the way. OJ is healthy right?
  • Passing by your own house at 9.5 miles into a race is almost heartbreaking. Luckily, I didn't have a key with me or I may have stopped. Ok, not really, but it sure sounded like a fantastic idea.
  • Cold gels are really hard to take. I ran with mine in my hand for a solid mile trying to get it to warm up.
  • Hills suck, but long gradual, 1+ mile long hills suck even more. How do they find the route with as many mile-long inclines as possible?
  • The last half a mile might be the hardest - you see the end, you hear the end, but you just can't seem to get there and everyone is telling you how close you are!
  • Crossing that finish line makes it all worth it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.